Sunday, August 17, 2008

Würzburg: The Baroque and the War

The wealthy church and royal elite brought Italian painters, sculptors, and architects to Würzburg in the 1700s and they created a very Italianate baroque feel to the houses and churches. Here is the interior of the Dom/Cathedral in Würzburg.

The outside has been rebuilt since World War II in a plain facade. The reason for the mismatch in styles is that 80% of Würzburg was destroyed on March 16, 1945.
Here is the rebuilt facade of the Rathaus/Town Hall. Note the rococo gargoyle, the eagle of Bavaria, and the ornate metal work. There is a permanent display here about the fire bombing of the city.
Here is a sculpture at the Stift Haug church - another ancient structure that was destroyed and rebuilt.
The words may be hard to read above the door to this house. They say that the house was built in 1745 and destroyed in 1945 and rebuilt by Adam Endres. 5,000 people were killed in 25 minutes, as petroleum bombs ignited over the city and created a fireball with temperatures of 1-2000 degrees Celsius.

No comments: